Well, I’ve been pretty busy working on some top secret projects (if I talked about them, they’d have to kill me!) but in the background the improved Dink has been slowly shaping up for release.
Here are the latest new things (all the screenshots are from the iPad):
- It’s now a universal app – it runs natively on iPhone and iPad
- Added an additional way to install add-ons. Besides downloading directly by url, you can just drag and drop .dmod files into iTunes. Nice if you want to install a lot at once.
- Added instant quick-save and quick-load from anywhere. I debated about this but I figure with how hard some DMOD’s are this is key to avoiding frustration. It’s lightning fast and remembers your last quick save on a per-dmod basis. Normal saving and loading with save spots is still supported, as well as automatic ‘save and restart’ from anywhere when you quit. (Credit: the dmod in the screenshot below is Pilgrim’s Quest)
- Added a “speed up” rabbit icon – hold this, and the entire game runs faster. Useful for zooming through unskippable cut-scenes and dialog.
- Add-on select menu now shows actual images from the dmod
- Added a second control scheme “drag-anywhere” to move Dink around for those that don’t like the virtual pad.
Not much left to do!
Justin is working on new icon artwork and I’d like to play around with getting external bluetooth/dockable keyboard controls working. (anybody know if you can get raw key-up/key-down messages from it?)
I also plan to release this for PC (this new version is ultra portable) after I add gamepad support. I know, it had it in before but I sort of killed all things DirectX when I made it GL optimized.
So to anyone having problems with the current freeware dink versions, hold on a bit.