Our old RPG Dink Smallwood has been free for quite a while, but today I present you with a free full “HD” version for Windows.
It’s basically identical to the iOS/Android mobile versions minus the touch controls. It’s the same code, which is built on Proton, so it’s a simple matter to dump out Windows builds so I might as well. Thanks to the Dink Network lads and ladies for helping me test this.
Main differences between this and the old one are:
- New GL rendering engine with anti-aliasing and custom screen resizing
- Seamless built-in DMOD download/install/management
- Includes the entire digital audio track from the original CD release
- Hold TAB to speed up the game to skip boring cutscenes/text
- Auto save every 5 minutes (FINALLY!)
- Full state save when quitting, can also save/load anywhere with F1 and F8
- Fixed many memory/file bugs from the original Dink
- Save machine saved games are fully compatible with older versions, just copy the .dat files
- Should work better with newer computers
- Difficulty tweaked, some pop-up help things added to get new players started.
- Natively runs at 32 bit color, now supports alpha channels in images
- New audio system with .ogg support
- No gamepad support yet (what? You never used it anyway)
- Probably not 100% compatible with all DMODS (let me know when you find a problem, send me the save game and directions to reproduce the problem and I’ll take a look)
You can download it from here. (45 MB)
All in all, I think it’s easily the best way to experience Dink on a Windows PC now.
Let me know if you have any problems, new versions will just use the same filename.